Friday, January 9, 2009

Back to School

I made it through my first week! I started the week off with calendar, math review, daily language practice and today I taught my first writing lesson. I taught how to write to persuade and the kids created their own ads. It went really well and the kids had fun!

It has been a busy week. I have been learning a lot about the classroom routines, my CT's behavior management style and the new curriculum. The reading curriculum is quite overwhelming with so many ideas and activities. As I am preparing for reading lessons next week I am learning that less is more and really trying to narrow in on one teaching point. The reading curriculum does provide a lot of support which is great! Math is also very different. I can now really see the value of Investigations. Math lessons consist mostly of direct instruction through worksheets. The students are only practicing the standard algorithm for addition and some forget which number goes in the ones and tens place when regrouping! I am fighting the urge to teach them adding by place and adding by parts and instead have been using base 10 blocks to demonstrate regrouping.

I am really thankful that I am at Sunset. The staff has been very welcoming and there are a few teachers that I already know which is nice. The kids are great but I really do miss Ms. Moss' class and having other student teachers at the school. I hope everyone is doing well and off to a great start.

Enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Courtney-

It's great to hear that things are starting off well! Sounds like you hit the ground running as far as how much you've already taken over! How are the kids responding to someone new teaching?

I think you get a really unique experience before being an actual teacher because you get to compare different types of curricula and school atmospheres -- I bet that'll help you mold into who you really are as a teacher.

Keep us updated! We miss you!!

-Lindsay