Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lessons I'm Learning

For some reason the sound of "formal observation" still gets me nervous and jumbles my words, but overall the reading lesson I taught on Monday was a success. Through the many literacy courses I have taken I have learned of the "Big 5", gradual release of responsibility, ect.,  but putting them to practice is the challenge! I have to remember to not lose my teaching point in the lesson. In my head I know the reason for what I am doing, but I need to make it more explicit to the students. I also realize how important it is to have a share session at the end of the lesson. I think for both me and the students it provides meaning for what we are doing and why we are doing it. I am also realizing the importance of teaching strategies to students when reading. As an adult reader I have learned to read a text, and then re-read for information that will deepen my comprehension. Students also need to know that as readers we will not remember every detail we read and will need to reference the text to remember certain elements. There is so much to learn! My challenge is teaching enough information, but not too much because I don't want the students to be overwhelmed and then not take anything from the lesson at all.  

No comments: