This week I have been teaching my TWS in math. My anxiety is dwindling, my experience is growing, and I am learning. But, most importantly the students are doing math!
Day 1: Going into the day I knew students were proficient at learning goal 1 based on the pre-assessment, however I still wanted to introduce the students to the 1,000 chart and have them practice transferring their understanding of place value to 1,000. Knowing that most students would finish early I planned an extra task for students that would provide them with extra practice. Unfortunately, that still didn't leave enough for them to do because the activity went on far too long. There was a huge discrepancy between students because most "got it," but some really needed one-on-one support. This is where I got stuck, because I was spending too much time working with individuals that were struggling.
Lessons for the day:
- If some students do not complete the task, it is okay. There is always another day.
- Set expectations for what students do when they are done, so I don't have to individually pass extra work out and so behavior management doesn't become a problem
Day 2: Collection cards were introduced and kids were quick at sequencing numbers. The second activity was a bit more challenging. I was teaching the students how to sequence these numbers on a number line with the appropriate amount of space in between each number. What I didn't realize was that their understanding of a number line starts at 1 and continues in order. I needed to explicitly teach what an unmarked number line was and the amount of space that is needed for bigger or smaller numbers.
Lessons for the day:
-If students need more time to understand a concept than the 20 minutes I have planned, let them have more time!
-Include more student voice, and less teacher voice
- Provide a challenge and extra practice for students that need it, but make sure it is something that will be familiar to them. It needs to be an extension of something they have already been practicing and not your next teaching point.
-Introduce important vocabulary words as they fit not when they are planned to appear in the unit.
Day 3: I started the day off re-teaching how to space numbers on an unmarked number line from least to greatest. My quick check for understanding by looking at the work they had done on their whiteboards told me it was less confusing than yesterday, but something that students will need to continue to practice. Later in the day, we practiced estimating hundreds in the sum of two numbers in a game called "Go Collecting." I did a better job today modeling how to work with partners and students were engaged in the activity. Students are beginning to understand what it means to estimate, but some are still mentally finding the exact answer. Some students also need more instruction on the importance of looking at the entire number and not just the hundreds.
Lessons for the day:
- I need to provide more opportuntities for students to turn-and-talk.
- I need to continue to practice balancing multiple tasks (providing a visual, modeling activity...) by maybe involving students. This would help me and increase active engagement.
- Learn how to write on a whiteboard sideways! :)
- Keep thinking about questions to ask that will develop mathematical thinking!
Overall, the lessons were successful. The real results will be in on Monday when students complete the post-assessment!
Happy Halloween!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Courtney, I like how you've been providing a "lessons for the day" after each day's summary. It's a good way to document what you're thinking about and what you've learned.
I like your comment about more student voice and less teacher voice. A number of your other "lessons" also involve ways to better engage students: i.e., more turn and talk, asking better questions to elicit math reasoning, etc.
Hi Courtney ~
I've read through the last several of your blogs. You make so many great points.
1. The understanding about the motivation piece is huge. How can we motivate all students? When I was teaching first grade, motivation was not an issue. They all came pretty eager to learn and wanting to please. By fifth grade, not so much. I don't know what creates the change, but it is vastly more challenging to motivate them in the intermediate grades. Yet, when you do, they rise to the occasion which is gratifying and keeps us in the business (because nobody gives us too many positive strokes so it's those moments with the kids that keep us motivated.)
2. Formal Observation - I must admit that when Kathy walks into my classroom (especially with Mark & Cindy), my palms start sweating and the butterflies start dancing in my stomach. And I know all of those people. It isn't easier when you don't know the people coming in to observe. Earlier this year David, Joanne & Janet Mock walked in my room at the end of the day to set up a video-taping of Christine and I doing some UbD planning around her TWS. It was the last 15 minutes of the day, the kids were awfully full of energy and hard to get to listen and control and I had adults in the education field there. It isn't easier with people outside the education field either. When parents walk in I have the same reactions - sweaty palms, shallow breathing, and butterflies. You do get used to it, but I think it's always there to some degree.
Amy has great things to say about your teaching this year. Just yesterday she was saying how she feels good about where you are at as a teacher and that you are ready for your student teaching experience. Good for you!!
Carole
Thank you so much for your support and kind words. It is truly appreciated. I feel very fortunate to be at Sumas in Amy’s classroom.
Post a Comment