Overall my lesson on theme in literary texts went well. I introduced theme by connecting it to a book they were familiar with. I was pleased that most students remembered the text I had chosen. I did a quick book talk of the story and read excerpts from the text that would connect to my teaching point. I think this was a great way to begin because I was able to grab their attention by activating prior knowledge and share with students the theme of the story.
I also did a much better job of emphasizing my teaching point. I was glad I had a pre-made chart explaining how theme helps us as readers because it helped me stay on track and remember to hit those key points. It would have been helpful if I had gone back to the chart after the lesson and connected it back to the text I had read as my model.
My next step was to read a new story aloud and show the students how I used the story elements we have been practicing to decide the theme. I was glad I connected what students have already been learning to my new teaching point so students can see a purpose for the learning that is taking place.
Students then had the opportunity to read with partners different stories by the same author and provide evidence for the theme they chose. I was impressed with how well students found the theme of their story. Some students were very literal when finding the theme or lesson of the story. I was able to begin addressing this with groups as I was conferring but this is something that students will need more practice with.
I am still balancing the time allotted for teacher voice and student voice. I did provide an opportunity for students to turn-and-talk during the lesson, but I am definitely working on really giving students the opportunity to be active in the lesson. However, after talking with Rock it is also important that the lesson doesn’t go on too long, so students do have the opportunity to get to work. I think this is something that will definitely feel easier with more experience. I also am still working on engaging students in inquiry. I want to pose questions that connect to my teaching point but also keep students wondering. I want students to understand that learning is a continual process and not just finding finite answers.
As a teacher, I want to continue using mentor texts that allow me to explicitly model my teaching point. I think I am improving on providing clear expectations (providing a list for what to do when you’re done, expectations for partner work) and will continue using positive language that encourages excitement for learning!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment